Thursday 31 March 2011

River Maintenance

During the season one of the requirements of some of the fishing clubs I am in is the work party .  Sadly every club I am in struggles to get a healthy participation from members for these essential activities .  Personally I have found them very useful. As a new member of a club it is by far the best and fastest way to get to know the waters and some of the other members,  Longstanding members can be a mine of information and often will point people in the direction of other local fishing opportunities . It has to be said that during work parties people seem to have more time for a conversation than whilst fishing.

 Lets be honest new river fly fishing clubs arent the easiest things to get membership of and word of mouth is by far and away the best way of gaining this information.  There is also the enjoyment factor I have never been on a work party yet that hasnt been a good laugh. 
Here one of the work party members is either giving a bush a hair cut or he is using an extendable bush saw to demonstrate his czech nymphing technique. Personally  I think he should be using a four weight.......

So if your club has them even if they arent compulsary, or even if you are on the waiting list for a club.  Go on the parties you will find it worthwhile ...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are right, stream cleanup is a great way to get to know the water, and will ultimately make one a better fisherman. In my experience, most of the people at the cleanup have been fishing the waters for some time and are a plethora of information. I've thought about suggesting a facebook page for each stream clean-up activity. Social-networking reigns supreme. We'll see what happens.

Wykeham lakes Scarborough

 I have just read that the above fishery is going under new management ,  Great news its somewhere that I have fished in the past but my rec...