Tuesday 4 June 2024

Reasons to be cheerful part 3

One of my favourite Artists from the 70s was Ian Drury and the blockheads .And after a long driving session a few days ago when I explored my Spotify library that song has been in my head .  The events of the last few days have made me think about the title . It has been a depressing long winter and spring that has brought more than a fair share of challenges .  We have had to little Sun , too much rain and to few fish .  The new chalk stream has been bank high to the extent I just didnt fancy it  bright spot has been the new upland stretch of stream  that my previous post covered it has been an joy. The faster upland nature of it means rainfall runs of quickly and it is fishable for longer . Also nothing beats exploring a new stretch of river .  But on Sunday after a couple of weeks away from all the rivers the stars aligned and the fish were starting to look up and even taking a few mayflies .  So I know that the song has no part one and part two.  But my part one would be the fact its June the fish are looking up and its not a bad forecast for the weekend 


On Sunday the river was still carrying colour , but I think that helped me on the day as it was very bright and I think that a properly clear river would have made life more difficult.  The fish above was my best of the bunch and proof again of knowing the river .  There is one lie where you rarely see rising fish but experience has shown me that the bin lid sized often produces better fish . After half a dozen speculative casts the mayfly was taken .  it gave a good struggle in the faster water on a softer cane rod. 



If there was a part two well for me a few months ago i realised I would never receive a retirement gift from work . For a long time I have had my own business but last year for various reasons the company was closed and Myself and Son who worked for me, Went of to work for another consultants who we had contracted on and of for a number of years . It also means that over the forthcoming years I can consider working less but knowing my Son has some continuity and good prospects with a great company .  So I decided that the last thing that my old company would do is provide me with a new bamboo fly rod ,  I had come close to ordering one a few years ago , first covid got in the year , then the builder retired ,  I have a number of bamboo rods but none were built from Scratch for me. So recently I approached Luke Bannister and an order was placed for a nice Garrison 201 with two tips ,  I have a few bamboo rods but I have seen a few of Lukes rods and so seeing things taking shape on the update he sends me is reason to be cheerful number two.  


So what you ask is reason to be cheerful three? well simply this, in another few months that favourite stream and the Garrison 201 will be united lets hope that on that day the Sun shines but not to much and that there will be hatching flies and the fish will be looking up.




Lukes Rods are here ...


No comments:

Reasons to be cheerful part 3

One of my favourite Artists from the 70s was Ian Drury and the blockheads .And after a long driving session a few days ago when I explored m...