Thursday 24 May 2012

The return of the evening rise…

A strange orange disc has appeared in the sky over the last few days . I had almost forgotten its existence. The ever present clouds, cold winds and high waters had become a permanent fixture spreading a gloomy and depressing mood for fly fishermen everywhere. Yesterday the temperature was high the rivers were fining down and I was sure flies would be hatching. I managed to steal away from work bang on time and headed for a favourite beck that is well away from the valley bottom rivers which are still recovering.



I have visited this beck a lot this season as its been just about the only one fishable. Now it was not only fishable it was quite simply wonderful. I could get all poetic when I think about the sparkling water and the columns of spinners dancing in the evening sunshine, but as I can`t write poetry I will simply say that there was loads of fly and there were rising fish, lots of them. Those beautiful swirls, boils and dimples that signal that everything is right with the world again. Slipping down into the water hidden beneath the deep banks and tree canopies a delicate three weight carbon wand in my hand, I am once again in my chosen element. With clear waters, and the gentle warmth of a sinking sun all the frustration and denied opportunities of the previous two months are erased from my memory with just one well placed fly and the swirl of a fish.



So summer is here the Mayfly arrive anytime . The evenings are long and the rivers are running fresh and clean , I can`t understand why I have been so depressed . Life is good .


The mundane facts were fished two and a half hours , caught 8 fish and scared a few more the fish coming to a size 16 natural stripped quill cdc emerger with a small  thorax, but that does not in any way describe what the evening meant…

2 comments:

MarkW said...

A good evening of fishing can set many things right again, thanks for reminder

Baslowfisher said...

I am desperate to get out there in the evenings too! those stripped quill bodies certainly look the part. Great blog.
Colin

Wykeham lakes Scarborough

 I have just read that the above fishery is going under new management ,  Great news its somewhere that I have fished in the past but my rec...