Friday 5 April 2019

So start the clock again



Well folks here we again.  A new spring is here and a new season started .  As has become usual over the last couple of years , opening day has come and despite recent rain the rivers are still pretty low and I an sure that come the summer we will pay the price for the last mild and dry winter.  The results of the winter inactivity have been a decent enough winter Grayling total , to be honest the best I have had for a few years . but it will be nice to hit the rivers for trout again.



I have as always been unable to resist the temptation of a few new bits of gear .  This year a new to feed my growing light line fetish , a Loop 8ft 6" 2wt arrived as did a Scott 8ft 8" 4 wt .  Did I need them ?. Well probably not .  I need stuff like fly floatant and new tippets. But the honest truth is I dont actually need anything significant but there is always stuff that i want.


The river looked stunning but fish have been hard to come by .  Nothing larger than parr size so far.  I guess if I put a nymph on I might do better but determined to have the first of the season on a dry.  So far have had three rise to a fly but to bloody slow or maybe even to anxious. 




The wild Garlic is brilliant right now dense aromatic carpets of it.  As usual a bag full went home with me for chicken and wild garlic soup..  I suppose right now I am just grateful for the first signs of warmer weather appearing. 





This weekend the first few butterflies were around in the sunshine .  The odd bumblebee is waking up to. 



Not to mention the spring flowers ...  oh and I have joined a couple of new clubs this year so will be visiting a couple of larger rivers again.. Watch this space . 




4 comments:

Mark Kautz said...

What do you mean, you don't need two new rods? Of course you do. Every fisherman needs more fishing rods. How many do you really need? One more.
Out here in Northern California we have just the opposite weather. If it ever stops raining, I might get to fish again.

Bill Trussell said...

Awesome looking stream; that 8ft. 6in 2 wt. will be a blast to fish. I sometime use my 7 1/2" 2 wt. often on one of the small lakes I fish. Extremely light and easy to cast. Thanks for sharing

The Two Terriers said...

Absolutely delightful, the pictures are a real pleasure to look at and those rmsons, wow! Regards, John

MarkW said...

Wow, that river looks gorgeous! From the looks of things you are a few weeks ahead of us into spring than here in New England.

Wykeham lakes Scarborough

 I have just read that the above fishery is going under new management ,  Great news its somewhere that I have fished in the past but my rec...