Sunday 20 January 2019

First signs ...


It is mid winter , cold and misty the river is carrying colour and the days are short but today was a good day .  We are told that bad weather is on the way snow wind and rain.  The white frost is hanging in the shade of the trees and hills are shrouded and white .But the river is so close.  The winter storm is not yet here the river was fishable and it was an opportunity not to be missed.





The day didnt get away to a great start the little chap below was the first fish to come to hand but then before to long several of his larger brothers turned up.   The fish taking a black beaded caddis .  It looked to be carrying the scars of an earlier bird attack.  You will notice the gloves ,  its not very often I have to resort to them but it was pretty thin...to use a local expression.


The colours on Grayling are superb these and are superb for banning the shack nasties in the middle of winter .  they scrap well in the faster water , especially on the soft action 3 weight I use .  The fish are still in the faster water they havent shoaled up in the deep slacks just yet .



This year seems to be showing more Grayling than we have had for a few years , with Good numbers of various sizes of fish which bodes well for the future.  I even had my first minnow sized fish a week or so back.



 These were not the only sign of things changing these snowdrops are starting to show in the sheltered corners .  Such delicate flowers and yet the first things that is tough enough to brave the winter cold



Back at the car  the tups were been taken back to their spring paddock .  Either they were preparing for their duties or had just done them.  Perhaps spring really is just around the corner.










5 comments:

Mark Kautz said...

One can only hope Spring is on the way. We're still in the grips of Winter, in fact it snowed last night as far down as my son's house (3200 ft elevation) which is something that happens about 6 times a year. Our house up the hill before we moved down into town was at the same elevation. I don't miss the snow. I'm ready for Spring.

Becks and Brown Trout said...


I think we have the worst to come End of january and february are the worst months over here . But at least the days are lengthening.

Brk Trt said...

Andy those dorsal fins on the Grayling are beautiful. What a picture it would be with the sunshine filtering through.

I'm ready for spring.

Becks and Brown Trout said...


I think I enjoy catching them more than trout , I am lucky that my local streams have good populations .

ANDY

The Two Terriers said...


A lovely and very nostalgic post for me. How I miss the Seph, Rye and Swale when I see Grayling like that. Many thanks. Regards, John

Wykeham lakes Scarborough

 I have just read that the above fishery is going under new management ,  Great news its somewhere that I have fished in the past but my rec...