Monday 29 February 2016

Fishing bamboo and heritage in the making.....



Before we go any further its not just your the reader that is fed up of seeing blog posts on a fly fishing blog that dont have any fly fishing in them  but as part of my pre season preparations the following tells its own story....
After 41 years of fly fishing , starting with fibreglass and graduating through graphite and carbon , im6 and all the rest even of late Tenkara I have finally fallen into the dark side. I have long toyed with the idea of a very small stream rod in bamboo , but previousley the moment wasnt quite right .   


Recently though coming across a very heavy albert pocket watch chain that was about the only thing of real financial value that was left to me by my late Grandfather . It made me think, It held no real sentimental value to me and incidentally I cant even remember Grandad wearing  it. But It made me think that it would be good to sell it and invest in something that Grandad would have approved of.  


So the gold was sold and the above was bought . Now when I use it It will be even more pleasurable for the memories it will stimulate .  I spent many a happy hour fishing with Grandad and the rod and reel that he is using there in that photo is still in my position and is truly something I wouldnt part with . 

For those of you that like to know the technicalities of such things its a 6ft 3wt with two tips impregnated cane built on a swelled butt Chapmans blank, Fostors of ashbourne taper.  Built by Chas Burns of burns built rods....and having had a wee play with it down the beck at the weekend I can report it lays a line on the water like an angels kiss....



I am sure he would be pleased with my choice......




6 comments:

Mark Kautz said...

I'm sure he would approve.

Jim Yaussy Albright said...

Beautiful rod. And lovely photo of your grand dad.

Baslowfisher said...

That sounds like a lovely way to remember your Grandfather!
I must confess that I have also gone over to the dark side this close season by purchasing a cane rod from Peter Arfield in Bakewell. I have added a Hardy Bougle and dare I say a silk line so "gone the whole hog"! I too am looking forward to using it on those lovely summer evenings when the rusty spinners are dropping.
Hope you enjoy yours too and keep us informed of progress.

George said...

Very Nice Andy, Nothing wrong with Cane, I love using it and nice to see you got the rod with someone in mind, I did exactly the same with money left to me by my late mother & father, I know they would have agreed as would your grandfather. Very best using the new rod and i hope it brings you many happy memories.
Regards
George

MarkW said...

That sounds like a sweet rod, great length and weight for a small stream rod. Too bad your Grandpa's reel won't fit on it! Enjoy it

Becks and Brown Trout said...

Mark... I agree but I have a nice little orvis CFO that will

Wykeham lakes Scarborough

 I have just read that the above fishery is going under new management ,  Great news its somewhere that I have fished in the past but my rec...