Friday 17 June 2011

No water in the river but showers a plenty

Its been a week a good week since my last update,  I have had a few great trips but due to circumstances not as many as I would have liked. I had a day on the Ure with Peter ( he of the walks and fishes blog) We both caught fish and the weather was kind to us,  There was even a chance to sample some of Theakstons finest...




Peter left before the evening rise but in that time demonstrated to me that I really must start to fish the Duo .   So when I had the kelly kettle brewing a cuppa and was eating my butties I set up the 4 wt and thought I would give the duo rig a blast... So a tiny size 18 PTN on the point and a size 14 klink on a dropper .  Second cast with the rig and a take.  My goodness this is easy me thinks only to reel in a Tommy Ruffe. It had taken the Nymph. It escaped from my hand before the photo opportunity.... It must be 25 years since I have caught one of those cheeky little blighters,  The river was again very low but still great fishing with plenty of fish rising,



In the evening the breeze dropped and the river was flat , but there are plenty of streamy areas for the fish to rise in,
The evening progressed well though and I ended with some good fish that were rising to the blackest little sedges I have ever seen.. Must make up a better pattern for them.



I have visited my local rivers in the past week and once again been blessed with heavy showers I got rained of the river and driven back to my car by one so I sat it out whilst reading one of my favourite mags which luckily I had bought that day.  As is often the case when the rivers are low afterwards the shower breathed a little welcome life into the stream and magically fish started to rise in the streamy water. Although concentration was needed to identify rises in amongst the raindrops. 



The fish are still being fooled by the mayfly pattern but after the rain I fished with an Erics beetle fished damp. That is floating but in the surface not on it, fished like that it can be deadly,its a fly I find great after a rainstorm as it could represent just about any drowned bug that gets knocked into the river.  I fished one shallow run under the trees and although I was only 6 yds downstream and the water was clear and 12 inches deep I could only see the rises the fish remained invisible , it makes you wonder how often you walk past fish even when you have polaroids on. 

I had a fish straighten the hook out on me as well that night in a corner that I would normally pass by It would seem that there are still some very good fish lurking in the out of the way places,  that place has been noted and will get more attention in future.  Again the river had not been visited that day I think the showers kept people away.  But because of the days rest or because of the rain the fish certainly were more willing to participate.  Certainly another reason to go when the weather aint the best.

I have visited the beck near my house a few times this week whilst exercising my dog.  The drought has really taken its toll. In places it has all but dissapeared You can walk across the river bed now in shoes and the water hardly comes above the soles. Normally its knee deep.  If serious rain doesnt come soon real long term damage will be done,anywaye are over due a good spate now and when one comes this time of year the Sea trout may come with it,  lets hope.

No comments:

Wykeham lakes Scarborough

 I have just read that the above fishery is going under new management ,  Great news its somewhere that I have fished in the past but my rec...